Celebrate Barbie’s 60th birthday at International Duty Free!
Bring out a cake with 60 candles: we’re celebrating the 60th birthday of Barbie, the most important fashion doll in the world who focuses on empowering and bringing out the endless possibilities in every girl!
For sixty years, Barbie has been championing girls, inspiring generations to believe in themselves through the power of imagination. Girls should know they have infinite choices in life – and no one represents that better than Barbie! After more than two hundred careers, six races to the presidency and a trip to the moon for Neil Armstrong, Barbie continues to evolve into a modern, powerful role model for all ages. There is no world, job or dream that women can’t handle: Barbie rightfully has the reputation of the ultimate emancipation brand for girls.
Did you know these interesting facts about our favourite girl?
- Her full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts, named after Ruth Handler’s daughter, Barbara.
- She is from the fictional town of Willows, Wisconsin .
- Barbie doll’s official birthday is March 9, 1959 – the exact date she was unveiled to the toy industry during New York Toy Fair.
- Barbie doll stands 11.5 inches tall.
- Barbie was joined by boyfriend Ken in 1961.
- In 1968, the first Black doll was introduced to the line.
- The best-selling Barbie doll ever was 1992 Totally Hair ™ doll, with hair from the top of her head to her toes.
- Barbie doll has had over 200 inspirational careers including astronaut, robotics engineer, journalist and entrepreneur to name a few.
- Barbie travelled into space in 1965, four years before man walked on the moon.
- Although she has never won an election, Barbie has run for president 6 times since 1992. In 2016, she ran on the first all-female ticket.
- In the 2000s, with only 24% of today’s STEM careers held by women , Barbie has been a Computer Engineer, Video Game Developer, Mars Explorer, and Robotics Engineer, just to name a few.
Barbie Travel Doll
Want to celebrate Barbie’s anniversary while you travel? Then you’ll love the Barbie Travel Doll: a Barbie with a puppy for a travel companion, luggage and more than 10 accessories, as she embarks on exciting adventures with her family and friends. In April, this beautiful doll can be purchased at International Duty Free with a -20% discount!
Barbie doll’s pink suitcase has a collapsible handle and opens and closes for packing and unpacking – it can also be decorated with the included stickers! Other iconic travel items included in the set are decorated with bright colors and fun decals: a neck pillow, headphones, an eye mask, a water bottle, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a camera and a cell phone. Barbie is ready to visit places near and far wearing a denim shirtdress with a colorful belt detail and trendy sneakers to match a pair of sunglasses adds the finishing touch.
With so many fun travel pieces, this Barbie set makes a great gift for young explorers and fans of the series. Be sure to pick one up for your favourite girl in The Gift Box in Terminal A!